VILSHANYTSYA

1923

Dormition Of the B. V. Mary

VILSHANYTSYA
Some literature cites 1900 as the erection year of this tserkva which stands on a plot where a tserkva stood since 1447. The temple has been used by the Polish Roman Catholic parish for some time. They have restored it and adorned it with fixtures from other nearby tserkvy, such as the altar from the tserkva in Serednycya. There are a number of old books here, in Cyrillic script, dating from 1630 to 1840. Hanging on the bell tower is a bell dated 1922 and inscribed in Ukrainian to be a "gift from America". We have not seen the ancient bell from 1630, which is reported to be here.