ULYUCH

1925/1510

St. Nicholas/Ascension of Our Lord

ULYUCH
The newer tserkva of St. Nicholas was burned down after the war during the evacuation proceedings against the Ukrainian population. The other tserkva of the Ascension still stands and Is not only the oldest tserkva in the Eparchy of Peremyshl, but in all of Poland. One of the reasons for this tserkva's survival is its location on top of a 1000 foot high hill overlooking the Syan river. The tserkva, built using old log construction technology, was used as a monastery by Ukrainian Basilian Fathers. Centuries ago, the Fathers operated a school for wood carvers here and instructed them on the requirements for iconostasis and other ecclesiastical ornaments. On the way up the hill, one can rest on a bench in front of a small chapel. The tserkva, built in typical Boyko style and in good condition, is a museum.