TYLYCH

1742

Sts. Kosmas and Damian

TYLYCH
Tylych was originally called Ornawa. The settlement was renamed Mastko about 1400 and at that time the first tserkva was built. In 1612 the Polish Roman Catholic Bishop of Krakiw, Lubosh Tylytskyj, renamed the village to Tylych. In 1636 the bishop of Krakiv ordered the Ukrainian tserkva closed. It remained so until 1686 when it was taken apart, the material transported to Mushyna, and there used to build a Polish kostel. The tserkva in the photograph was erected in 1742, because the Roman Catholic bishops would not consent to this earlier. Now the tserkva is refurbished and used as a museum. In front of the tserkva we see a cross, cut from stone, commemorating 950 years of Christianity in Ukraine.