SYANIK

1774

Holy Trinity

 SYANIK
Syanik already existed in the twelfth century. The original tserkva of St. Demetrius was built about 1250. In the fourteenth century there began a book- writing establishment here, which transcribed liturgical texts. One of the copiers, by the name of Mykhaylo Vasylevich, translated the gospel from the old Slavic into the Ukrainian language of that time (1556). This gospel is called the Peresopnytska Gospel. The Rev. Stefan Venhrynovich (1897-1945) died in the Syanik jail while being tortured by Polish police. The tserkva is used by the Orthodox parish.