SMILNYK

1806

St. Nicholas

SMILNYK
The tserkva in Smilnyk is of masonry construction and is impressive in size. It served more than 1000 parishioners. At the turn of the century 400 parishioners, out of 1400, left for America as immigrants or for temporary employment in mines and factories. To support the parish priest, about 120 acres of arable land and 25 acres of meadows belonged to the parish. The tserkva is now used as a Polish Roman Catholic kostel, while all its possessions have been confiscated by the Polish government.